We're back in 5 weeks, 5 days, 5 hours and 5 minutes (at the time of typing) for an evening meeting to kick-off the season. In the meantime, National Hunt fans, and much of the country, have the most prestigious race to look forward to and enjoy. The Grand National takes place next Saturday, and for all you Worcester racegoers looking through the field for previous Worcester runners, there are 9 to keep your eye on at present in the remaining 73 entries. To save you sifting through all 73 for a spot of Worcester form, here they are (in weight order for the National):
- Balthazar King; 1 Worcester run, 1 victory, which was also his chasing debut.
- Battle Group; quirky type who finished 2nd by 5 lengths on his only Worcester start.
- Twirling Magnet; a mixed Worcester career, with a victory on his racing debut, however also a fall to his name.
- Lost Glory; 4th in our historic Land O'Plums Chase (which takes place every year on our Pershore Plum Festival Racenight card).
- Swing Bill (pictured); another mixed Worcester career, with a narrow defeat in a Class 3, but pulled up on his only other run.
- Standing Ovation; a poor showing in a Class 4 in 2013, last of 5, but turned a corner since then winning a Class 1 at Wincanton by 5 lengths.
- Any Currency; 2nd in a Class 3 nearly 5 years ago and the final finisher (17th) of last year's Grand National.
- Storm Survivor; a distance 3rd in a Class 3 last year.
- Victrix Gale; finished half a length second on her racing debut.
We'll hopefully be cheering on a finish like they had in Glenfarclas Cross Country at the Cheltenham Festival this year, when Worcester winner, Balthazar King, beat Worcester runner-up, Any Currency, by a short head, having just tackled four miles.
We're looking forward to hosting many more potential big race winners this season, to catch all of the action why not try our annual membership, or book one of our fantastic raceday packages in advance, like the brand new Pukka Package, and save yourself £££'s.
For all information on the season, check out our website www.worcester-racecourse.co.uk or call us on 01905 25364.